Mountain lodge as public space at 2.454m 

The mountain lodge is situated at 2.545m above sea level on the crest between the two passes of Ponte di Ghiaccio and the Fundres and Lappago valleys, close to the border of Austria.

The original mountain lodge was built in 1906 by the DÖAV’s (Deutsche Österreichische Alpenverein) Edelraute division of Vienna and after WWI changed hands to became property of the Italian State whereby the Bressanone division of CAI (Alpine Club of Italy) became the property managers.  In the 1950s the original mountain lodge was added on to and renovated and in 2012, a two phase competition was issued for a new lodge and the consequent demolition of the existing structures.

The “L” shaped volume of the lodge defines the south-facing outdoor area that inscribes the footprint of the now demolished, original Ponte di Ghiaccio lodge.  This design strategy facilitated the high altitude job-site logistics, allowing the workers to sleep in the old lodge during construction. 

By using the footprint of the original Edelrauthütte as the perimeter of the new outdoor space, the absence of the former lodge is made physical, giving testimony to the former lodge’s cultural significance in the collective memory of the site and those who have traversed its slopes time and again.

 

The lodge is both a point of arrival and a rest-stop for hikers and alpine skiers, and as such serves as a visual bridge between the Pfeifholdertal valley with the Nevesstausee lake and the Pfundrestal valley with its respective Eisbruggsee lake.  The dining room sits exactly at the intersection of these two north-south valleys, allowing visitors to enjoy this unusual vantage point during their stay.